Mrs. Virginia Davis, a riveter in the assembly and repair department of the Naval air base, supervises Chas. Potter, a NYA trainee from Michigan, Corpus Christi, Texas. After eight weeks of training he will go into civil service. Should he be inducted or enlist in the armed service, he will be valuable to mechanized units of the Army or Navy
Working inside the nose of a PBY, Elmer J. Pace is learning the construction of Navy planes, Corpus Christi, Texas. As an NYA trainee at the Naval Air Base, he gets practical experience. After about eight weeks, he will go into civil service as a sheet metal worker
Caption on back reads: “A midget and a woman worker install control wires on a “Valiant” basic trainer. At the Downey plant is made the BT-13A (“Valiant”) basic trainer - a fast sturdy ship powered by a Pratt & Whitney engine.” - From the Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum
The Willow Run Story, B-24 Liberator Production WWII 1945.
The Willow Run manufacturing plant (owned/operated by Ford Motor Company until 1946) began life in 1939 as a farm providing vocational training for young men under the name Camp Willow Run. Sensing the need for war production plans were already in motion to build an aircraft production plant. Farming was effectively removed in 1941 when construction on the plant ensued. The plant, as a whole, concentrated on the production of Pratt & Whitney R-1830 engines, gliders, superchargers, and various avionics among other products. The main facility was completed on December 4, 1941, just days before the attack at Pearl Harbor. In addition, a full airstrip was constructed to facilitate testing of the finished bombers.
Willow Run reached peak output in 1944 which saw a complete B-24 Liberator leaving the assembly line every fifty five minutes. These completed aircraft were tested by on site air crews after final assembly. 8,685 complete B-24 Liberators were reportedly manufactured at the Willow Run plant accounting for roughly forty eight percent of the estimated 18,000 aircraft of this type produced during World War II.
Ford Motor Company sold the plant to Kaiser-Frazer in 1946 after which Kaiser produced various automobiles including the Henry J. Kaiser then sold the plant to General Motors in 1953. GM produced automobiles and transmission at the plant until late 2010 when operations were ceased.
What a sight this must have been to be there in person to see … ;-) #WWII #B24Liberators #Liberators #B24 #Bombers #Wartime #RadialEngines #Guns #Bombs #Flyers #HeavyBombers #BlackAndWhite #Pic #Photo #History #1940s #Forties #USA #USAAF #UnitedStates #Airplanes #WarPlanes #AirBattles #USArmyAirForce #ArmyAirForce by mpmb45 http://ift.tt/1qZEKoh
"Women in white" doctor Navy planes (motors) at the Naval Air Base, Corpus Christi, Texas. Mildred Webb, an NYA trainee at the base, is learning to operate a cutting machine in the Assembly and Repair Department. After about eight weeks as an apprentice she will be eligible for a civil service job in the capacity for which she has been trained