R.A.F Reserve School Pupils at Panshanger Aerodrome 1938.
Help Dean McBride Save Panshanger Aerodrome!
A Brief History of Panshanger Aerodrome.
During World War II the airfield was used by RAF units for training and a large Bellman type hangar was erected to accommodate the based aircraft. This structure still exists.
No. 1 Elementary Flying School, equipped with Tiger Moth biplane trainers was active at the aerodrome from September 1942. No. 127 Gliding School was operational at Panshanger from August 1943 until closure in May 1948.
Postwar, No. 1 Reserve Flying School was based from May 1947 until its closure in May 1953. It was managed by De Havilland Aircraft.
From 1946, the airfield has been used by flying clubs for training and recreational flying, and also by private owner pilots. A small arched hangar with canvas end closures was in use by 1953.
Post 1953 civilian flying took over the facility following sale of the land into private hands. Periods of activity and lulls into disuse followed but the aerodrome remained a training facility. WGC Corporation purchased large areas of the land on which the aerodrome stood. The aerodrome itself remained in the hands of de Havilland but later that year was sold to Mr John Nathaniel (Nat) Somers who acquired the rights to London Aeroplane Club.
In 1960 the large hanger was constructed at a time when the London Aeroplane Club was looking to expand usage of the aerodrome for business flying and hence larger aircraft. There was some interest from local industry at the time.
In 1965 the WGC Corporation had purchased more of the land which resulted in new approach and take-off procedures. The first phase of Panshanger housing began and continued through the 1970s.
In 1979 London Aeroplane Club applied to the CAA for the aerodrome to be developed into a general aviation base for advanced flying training, engineering and aircraft sales.
In 1980 British Aerospace expressed concerns over safety test flying at Hatfield due to prospective increased Panshanger traffic. Changes to operations and runway alignments took place as a result of the British Aerospace concerns.
In 1982 Panshanger School of Flying formed. Throughout the 1980s, deterioration of the buildings and facilities occurred plus rents increased and in 1992 The School of Flying moved to Leavesden and the aerodrome closed. Gypsies moved in and the empty buildings were further damaged until 1993 with the closure of British Aerospace at Hatfield, the way was left open for Panshanger to become a licensed aerodrome again. The Aerodrome re-opened with a new licence to continue as a centre for pilot training. The East Herts Flying School was formed which was to become todays North London Flying School.
Panshanger Aerodrome has a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority Ordinary Licence (Number P782) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction as authorised by the licensee. The aerodrome is not licensed for night use.
The aerodrome is home to the North London Flying School, which offers Fixed-Wing PPL, instructor and aerobatics training. The school uses Piper Cherokee, Piper Archer and Piper Warrior aircraft for most of its training, although it also owns a Piper J-3 (Cub), an Extra 300L and a Piper PA-32R (Saratoga) for other training and hire purposes.
Now the government have plans to flatten the aerodrome and build 700 homes on top of the historical landmark. We need to protect this valuable piece of British history for other generations and for the people who gave everything so we could live life as we do, free. So please go to Deans site below, read about the area, look at the photographs and then go sign the petition.
Thanks for your time.
Please sign the petition